Subject: Re: Beginner question on Install process
To: None <boccio@swarthmore.edu, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/27/1999 20:51:05
> [ 3000 install appears to hang after scc0 probe ]

You need to hook up a serial console and install from that.

I've fixed this in -current and in 1.4.1 to say, at this point, "SWITCHING
TO SERIAL CONSOLE", but in 1.4 it just quietly stops talking to the frame
buffer device.

Once you get installed, you can build the TCWSCONS kernel and boot that.
I'm thinking that INSTALL should just use the new but not-quite-ready-for-
prime-time zs instead of scc;  we would lose the ability to do ppp downloads
(and who cares) but we would stop having people run into this problem over
and over.

	ross.harvey@computer.org