Subject: Re: alphastation serial @ 115200
To: None <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/20/1999 21:59:28
On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 06:22:28PM +0200, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > Sadly, the OSF/1 palcode throws away lots of nice alpha interrupt handling
> > hardware. All the cpu's provide nice hardware support for 15 different
> > software interrupt requests, but the osf/1 palcode throws every last one
> > away.
> >
> I assume that the palcode in VMS mode should support that; because
> VMS needs it :-) What is the difference in how the palcode works under
> VMS and OSF/1?

That might be good, but something _else_ is still wrong with the serial
ports on NetBSD/alpha.

Before 'soft interrupts' went in for the serial ports I could get 57600
on my AS200/233 with only the occasional dropped character.  I've been
having trouble at 115200 recently.  After reading this thread I decided
to arrange so that I'd get essentially no other device interrupts and
retry things at 57600 to see if they were better or worse.

They're much, much worse.  Receiving a 1MB file at 57600 into /dev/null
I got *dozens* of overflows while the only other interrupts on the box
were from the clock.  Something is Wrong.

Thor Lancelot Simon
	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"