Subject: RE: 164SX hangs on boot?
To: 'Ross Harvey' <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/19/1999 18:30:59
>> Where do I go from here?  How do I determine whether I have faulty
hardware
>> (the 21041 and Mach32 were functional before, but board and memory are
new)
>> or whether I have a configuration/installation problem?  Should I try
this
>> with a serial console instead (I really don't need a graphic console)?

> Yes, you should. Either the problem will go away or you will be in a
> better position to extract information on it. There are recently added
> ramblings on the subject of serial consoles in the FAQ.

... and I thought things would be simpler with a monitor and a keyboard!

Yes, with serial, things worked the first time (at least the first time
after I got the multitude of serial cables, 9-25 pin adapters, null modems
and gender changes connected the right way).  So this looks like it's
something to do with the VGA, possibly -- or even with the Mach32.

Incidentally, FreeBSD did work on the graphic console.  However, it doesn't
support IDE, and I'd much rather keep both mof my boxes on NetBSD anyway.

Thanks, Ross, for the quick help!

Tom Haapanen
tomh@metrics.com