Subject: Re: Try again... problems with alpha 3000/800S
To: R. Lee Hawkins <lhawkins@brashear.phys.appstate.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/14/1999 11:16:47
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, R. Lee Hawkins wrote:

> Hi all:
> I posted the message just after subscribing to the list, however I've
> gotten no replies, so perhaps it never went through.

  I saw it - just haven't had a chance to respond yet.

> We're trying to install netbsd on an AlphaStation 3000/800S that we
> On booting the CD Rom, I get the following "probe" messages as netbsd
> probes the internal scsi bus (these messages are not complete, I simply
> give the device number probed and final error):
>
> probe(asc0:0:0)...............
>
> asc0: timed out..........
>
> ncr53c9x_abort: not NEXUS
>
> It goes through this process for asc0:0:0 through asc0:4:0.
>
> I've looked around in the docs, but can't seem to find any
> troubleshooting documentation, thus my message here.  Can anyone lend a
> hand?  This is my very first netbsd install (although I've installed
> dozens of DU and Ultrix systems), so I'm at a bit of a loss.

  This is a known problem with the 3000/500-900.  The baseboard TCDS
(Turbo Channel Dual SCSI) is not being configured correctly.  The
3000/400 works since it does not support Fast-SCSI, but the higher models
support Fast-SCSI and the SCSI chip is not getting configured correctly.
I think I have it figured out and will be fixing it "soon".

  I can provide a 1.4 installation kernel, cdhdtape image, and
installation floppy images if anyone wants to try them out to see if they
work.

Michael

---
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu