Subject: Re: Making a boot floppy
To: Andrew F. Seila <andy@ms.terry.uga.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/14/1999 09:46:29
> 2.  When I try to use the find and man commands, I get strange error
> messages like

> find: 84: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

In my experience such errors are indicative of trying to run a binary
incompatible with your kernel (eg, a sparc binary on an i386, or an
a.out binary under an ELF-only kernel).  Check with "file" (assuming
*that* works!) to see what kind of files the find and man executables
are....  (The strange error arises because the file isn't executable
any other way, so someone - the kernel or the shell, I forget which -
tries to run it as a shell script.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca