Subject: Re: DEC 3000 Firmware Upgrade
To: Ray Phillips <>
From: Andrew Gallatin <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/09/1999 09:01:29
Ray Phillips writes:
 > Dear NetBSD/Alpha:
 > Could you give me a little advice please?
 > I'm about to try to install NetBSD on a DEC 3000 400 machine (which has a
 > CD-ROM and a DAT drive but no floppy) and I'm wondering if upgrading to the
 > latest firmware (version 7.0 according to
 > before
 > I do the installation is wise.  I assume that the answer is 'Yes' but DEC's
 > firmware release notes say that only some versions of Digital UNIX are
 > compatible with each version of the firmware, and I was wondering if the
 > same is true of NetBSD.
 > Raymond Phillips

Be very, very, very careful when upgrading the firmware on a 3000/400.
You need to make sure you have a new enough SROM chip, or an upgrade
from an old version of the firmware to a fairly new one will trash the
system & cause it to machine-check at power-on.  I'm fuzzy on the
exact details of which revisions cause the problem, but you can have a
look at:

Andrew Gallatin, Sr Systems Programmer
Duke University				Email: