Subject: Re: Decent SCSI card for AlphaStation 200?
To: Kevin P. Neal <>
From: Wilko Bulte <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/01/1999 11:29:05
As Kevin P. Neal wrote ...
> On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 12:23:03PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > The DEC name for the isp based cards is KZPBA-CA (single ended) and
> > KZPBA-CB (differential). Both are Qlogic buyouts. Recent SRM's can boot
> > them (on machines that support KZPBA of course). The SRM also loads
> > firmware into the isp IIRC.
> Define "recent".
> Also, what machines support them? (I'm taking notes over here.)

Read the SRM docs/release notes. I don't pretend to memorise all docs :)
A firmware CDROM has documentation files, for each SRM/platform IIRC.

> > Differential stuff is a bit of a pain as it is not mainstream.
> Anybody else get the feeling mainstream stuff tends to suck?

Define mainstream here. If you mean single ended SCSI I don't agree.

> > Alternatively, using a differential host adapter you could find yourself
> > something like a StorageWorks shelf, pop a DWZZA/DWZZB differential/se
> > converter in it and use single ended devices inside the shelf.
> Cost?

Too expensive to buy new for personal use. On the used (flea) market
you might get lucky. US prices tend to be better than what we have here.