Subject: Re: Decent SCSI card for AlphaStation 200?
To: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/31/1999 21:43:08
On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Kevin P. Neal wrote ...
> > So, I'm still using my AlphaStation 200 and need to add an Exabyte
> > 8200 to it.
> >
> > Problem is, that's a "SCSI-1" device. Adding it to my SCSI chain when
> > it already has six devices on it already seems like a bad idea
> > (although I am dropping that down to 4 in a couple of weeks). Compound
> > that by the fact that earlier tonight my box crashed with a mangled
> > dir in /var (running 1.4 release).
> >
> > So, I need another SCSI bus. I prefer cheap but OK, but would be
> > thrilled to find a reaonably priced card understood by the SRM
> > and Digital UNIX 4. I've got a PCI slot or an ISA slot to burn.
>
> Get an ncr810 based card, that should work OK for an Exabyte. SRM understands
> it, Tru64 understands it. NetBSD understands it although the driver
> does not seem to be the best there is.

You're not so limited, 825 and 875 cards work just as well, I'm using an
875 now on my PC164SX, and SRM boots it just fine.

I would be interested to know if an 896 (the LVD version) boots for the
PC164SX.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include any kind of voice or data
chuckr@picnic.mat.net      | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1 |
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD/i386
(301) 220-2114             | jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD/Alpha