Subject: Re: Decent SCSI card for AlphaStation 200?
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/31/1999 19:13:10
As Ross Harvey wrote ...
> > From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
> >
> > As Ross Harvey wrote ...
> > > There are pluses and minuses. My non-scientific impressions (take these
> > > with a grain of salt, my experience with these has not been deep) ...
> > >
> > > 	ncr-based cards
> > > 		* SRM can boot them (as long as the chip isn't newer
> > > 			than your SRM)
> > > 		* the driver has been a royal pain, but does seem to
> > > 		  always get beat into shape
> >
> > The DEC name for the NCR810 board is a KZPAA-AA. There are also
> > ethernet/scsi combo boards, I think these are KZPSM (10Mbit enet &
> > fast SCSI NCR810) and KZPCM (10/100Mbit enet & dual ultra SCSI ncr875(?))
> >
> > KZPAA is a plain NCR board (the ones I have have the NCR logo on them)
> > PSM and PCM are DEC designs.
>
> Thanks Wilko! I should have posted the part numbers. Here is the DEC

You're welcome ;)

> number for a differential ncr pci card: KZPSA-xx. I think I have a KZPSA-BB.

Beware: the KZPSA-BB (I have one here) uses a 53C720 chip. And it is an
intelligent card, sporting an i960 cpu etc. Not your run of the mill
ncr card. Needs a special driver. And it is a long card, so check if
it will fit in your case (CPU heatsinks come to mind).

Mine is available for trade BTW. So if someone is interested drop me a line.

> I bought one or two from northeast digital but they don't have any right now.
> One good feature of that card: it's an '825 (or earlier) I think, so it will
> work with older SRM's that don't grok the '875.

SRMs understand KZPSA-BB. I have a AS1000/4-400 at work that uses a
KZPSA to boot from a HSZ50 raid array.

> Unlike fast ethernet cards, any mfr's card that has an ncr chip on it will

Be careful.. does not apply to KZPSA e.g.

> be recognized by SRM, so a Symbios or other ncr-based card will be fine.

I have a noname Taiwan ncr810 board that works fine. My hacked Multia
riser cards (with 810 chip) also work fine in my NoName & Aspen Alpine
(see also: http://www.tcja.nl/~wilko/ncr_hack.html).

Wilko