Subject: Re: Decent SCSI card for AlphaStation 200?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/31/1999 11:56:25
>For SE scsi, buying new kind of makes sense, see the above URL. For
>differential, the stuff is extra-expensive new, but extra-cheap used,
>as people don't generally appreciate the value. I got my buslogic
>differential card new, since buslogic is usually quite cheap, but
>I got my differential ncr cards used, and got used or new-but-surplus
>diff drives. For some reason, there are lots of WD Quantum Atlas II's
>around...

I've seen truckloads of cheap "regular" differential drives (i.e. not LVD).
I know that these can't be driven by a SE scsi controller, but can LVD
controllers handle them or is it totally an "odd man out" technology? If
so, that seems to be the cheapest way to outfit a machine currently.

Also, www.pricewatch.com can be nice for finding bargains on new equipment.

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.