Subject: Re: pc164/ncr scsi problems
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/29/1999 17:00:11
According to Darren Reed:

>I'll try turning of SYNC, but I don't like having to do that.

I didn't like doing it either but in my case I was just trying to get
data off the old disk so I lived with it :-/  What I did was just turn
off sync negotiation on the old disk I had on the chain which seemed
to do the trick.

>For reference, this drive was working, synchronous, under SunOS 4.1.4
>in a Sparc LX (Fast SCSI, just not Ultra) at 10Mbit/s.

Also for reference, my disks were working fine _for_years_ until I put
the IBM DCHS09Z and Plextor 820T on the chain then things got tetchy.
All the cables were the same ones I have been using for ages (twisted
pair ribbon cable FWIW).  I could sometimes boot up and sometimes not,
other times I could get things running by power cycling the old disk
during boot, I did try juggling around the terminating device to no
avail.  The old disks were a Seagate 1G and a Fujitsu 2.9G.  IIRC the
Fuji was the one that gave me the grief.  I run fast, narrow scsi.