Subject: Re: mpg123 on alpha
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/14/1999 21:57:15
On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 03:33:54PM -0400, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> Are you sure it's mpg123 losing?  We don't currently deal with all of
> the WSS mixer controls on the Alpha, and this can cause rather bad
> output (e.g. on my AS200).  I keep meaning to fix this, but since I
> made all my other sound cards work in it, there hasn't been much
> incentive.  B-)

Pretty sure. Made .wav file with mpg123 on alpha and played it  on intel
machine. same bad effect. and tried amp, which decodes just fine on
alpha (but misses a lot of mpg123's features)... I noticed with amp
that WSS is not optimal quality, but... mpg123 decoding is a totally
different level of badness (track is barely recognizable)...

I also send a mail to the author of mpg123, but no reply yet.

Feico.

PS: is email username `root' intentional, or...