Subject: Re: PC164 memory bus speeed (was: pciide performance on alpha)
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/14/1999 23:35:29
[[ This covers a few private replys too ]]

Dave Huang wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
> > so crappy it's a good benchmark, but I can't distribute it).  On the
> > PC164 it takes 25.87 seconds, but only 12.13 seconds on the 500/333 that
> > DEC put on the internet for people to use years ago.  An AlphaServer
> > 4000/710 finished in 15.79 seconds.  (I hope the model numbers make
> > sense - I'm not really an alpha person.)
>
> Any chance that it's the compiler that's making the difference? (DEC's
> compiler vs. gcc)

Almost all of my results are with "gcc -O2", so I'm pretty sure the
compiler isn't getting in the way.  The code seems to be relatively
simple - just multiple traversals of a linked list.

> I tried comparing povray rendering the sample
> "shadows.pov" on my 500MHz PC164 and Compaq's 533MHz machine that's on the
> internet (perhaps the same one you're talking about? I don't remember the
> model number...)

I'm talking a good couple of years (3+) ago.  I didn't know that there's
one available now - do you have a URL or any details?

Simon.