Subject: Re: MySQL port / Thread libs, etc
To: Peter Clark <ninjaz@webexpress.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/13/1999 18:19:16
First off, you're in the right place.

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Peter Clark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently had the occasion to speak with Michael
> Widenus, the author of MySQL, about getting MySQL to
> build on NetBSD out of the box.  He said that he is
> interested in working with the porter who created the
> pkgsrc version to include changes in the upstream
> release, such that they won't break other platforms.
>
> Looking in the package, I see the version control
> headers of:
>
> on patch-aa
> $NetBSD: patch-aa,v 1.1.1.1 1999/05/06 23:22:27 tv Exp $
>
> but I don't see an email address anywhere.

Actually you do, just it's not obvious. The field with "tv" in it is the
username of the last person to modify the file. In this case, Todd
Vierling, tv@netbsd.org. But that's not necessarily the right person to
talk to as sometimes files are changed as part of an overall change and
not a package-specific one.

Check the maintainer for the package, listed in the Makefile. For this
one, it's packages@netbsd.org. So I'd suggest asking that address, or on
tech-pkg as that's where most package stuff happens.

> Also, what about thread libraries?  Is NetBSD going to
> get anything like this standard right now, perhaps by
> including MIT Threads or etc?  I've been looking into
> GNU Pth (under LGPL), also, but Michael tells me that it
> doesn't yet have everything needed to work with MySQL
> yet.
>
> And, regarding shared libraries, I noticed on the ELF
> FAQ webpage that ld.so.conf is not supposed to be used,
> and that /usr/local/lib was taken out of the library
> search path as of 1.4 (bah!)  ..  So, what is the proper
> way to add this back to the system search path on a
> local basis?  ldconfig(8) mentions ld.so.conf as its
> file to set up search paths, but this conflicts w/ what
> the ELF FAQ webpage says.

I think you should just ignore ldconfig. It's an a.out-ism. What you
should be doing under ELF is teaching each of your programs to look in
/usr/local/lib. Well, the ones you install there. With elf, you build the
runtime library search path into the program. You don't need ldconfig..

> Also, if this is not the proper place for this message,
> let me know that, too.  I ask here because I run
> NetBSD/alpha and am providing the NetBSD/alpha test
> build machine for MySQL's automated pre-release test
> builds.

As before, you're in the right place.

Take care,

Bill