Subject: Re: install.txt/SRM-ARC & XL266
To: None <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/13/1999 10:27:02
> Links from the list of suported models in
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/index.html to the corresponding
> detailed section in http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/models.html
> would be helpful.
>
>   Missing links would also remind us that we have work to do.  Which
>   remindes me.  I promised to make a first pass at one for the Miata...

You might want to mail suggestions on the web site to `www@netbsd.org',
or, if possible, send them or me some diff -u patches.

> -----
>
> Since the subject of this message starts with install.txt, here are
> a few comments...
>

> I'd rate install.txt as OK but not great.
>
> install.txt is over 100K bytes.  It's hard to find things, especially
> if you don't know what you are looking for (yet).  But I'd rather
> have too much than too little.
>
> I managed to install NetBSD on an Alpha without much help.  I started
> without knowing much about NetBSD.  It took a few days once I got
> serious.
>
> I printed out install.txt and marked things up with red ink.
>
> In the process of doing my first install, I made a checklist.  Mostly
> it is just a list of steps so I don't forget anything.  But it also
> contains various notes, URLs, and chunks that are handy to cut/paste.
>
> Anytime I had to search for something, I added a note when I found
> it.  Anytime I discovered something neat or how to work around a
> bug/glitch I added another note.
>
> The install-from-scratch section is most of a printed page.  That
> just gets the generic kernel going on a bare system.  I've got another
> half page of notes about how to set things up and make the system
> useful - mostly about configuring other network cards.
>
> The kernel building section is a half page with another half page
> on configuring things.
>
> Does anybody else have a similar set of notes/checklists or is everybody
> reading this a wizard?
>
> A checklist with lots of links into install.txt might be helpful
> to first timers.

I don't suppose we have any volunteers to work on install notes?
(And has hell frozen over?)  If someone does want to create some
diffs, this is important: please do them against NetBSD-current,
not 1.4 or 1.4.1.  They live in src/distrib/notes.