Subject: pciide, DMA, and the alpha...
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/1999 19:39:55
Someone once told me he didn't think the alpha was very happy with EIDE.
I'm wondering if that's true or not.  I'm using a PC164, if it matters;
I could also put in a PCI UltraDMA card, if that would matter.

I'm thinking of putting in a couple disks and striping them; EIDE is a lot
cheaper than SCSI, and if I can get reasonable performance, I'll probably do
it that way.

BTW, I'm a bit confused by the alpha environment - do I run out of interrupts
on an alpha the way I do on a PC?  I notice that IRQ's I've never seen
available on a PC seem to be showing up - for instance, my ethernet is on irq
2.

-s