Subject: Re: Recommended hard drives for Multia
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/06/1999 14:42:01
> From port-alpha-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Fri Aug  6 14:22 PDT 1999
> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:22:48 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Joe Royce <joe@team7.cba.ualr.edu>
> To: port-alpha@netbsd.org
> Subject: Recommended hard drives for Multia
>
> Greetings,
> 	I recently had the (mis?)fortune of obtaining a DEC Multia without
> a hard drive. It has the NCR 59c810 PCI SCSI card but I'm not familiar
> enough with it to know what type of drive is compatable. I'm guessing it's
> SCSI-2. I've found a place that sells the origional 340meg disk but I
> would prefer to get at least a 2gig disk. Does anyone have any
> recommendations? Thank you for your time.

My experience is that there are not many 2.5" SCSI drives over 340MB,
because the laptop manufacturers all switched over to EIDE about that
time.  By careful watching and waiting at the eBay auction I managed to
find a 1.2GB 2.5" drive.  By the way, I hope you have the connecting
cable.

Yes, it's SCSI-2.  I also observed that there is SCSI termination
present on the riser card, and TERMPWR is sourced there.  If you have
only a 3" long SCSI bus you don't need to terminate it at both ends.

If you don't use the one PCI slot on the SCSI riser, you can squeeze
any variety of 3.5" low-profile SCSI disk in there, but you might also
have to sacrifice the external SCSI connector to make room.  Just keep
the power dissipation down, preferably 5 watts or less.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu