Subject: Re: Installing on DEC 3000 - 600
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/03/1999 00:18:11
On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 09:18:53PM -0700, Ross Harvey wrote:
> Regarding "how to install on a tc box with no floppy", some people who have
> installed such things recently should chime in, but the abstract answer
> from the armchair over here is:

4) netboot off of another machine...

> You might be totally lucky, and have an old-SRM that can actually
> netboot, I think I saw it work, once...

My 3000/400s, running SRM 7.0, have no problems tftpbooting, so long as
I turn on both always-reply-rfc1048 and use-host-decl-names in my
dhcpd.conf file.

You can find tftp (or MOP) bootable SRMs at
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/dec3000.html

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
    "[...] of all the port lists to grumble to about slow CPU speeds and
     other resource limitations, I'd imagine that port-vax is not a very
     good choice :-)"  --  Brian D. Chase