Subject: Re: Installing on DEC 3000 - 600
To: None <f236@scatcat.fhsu.edu, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/02/1999 21:18:53
Regarding "how to install on a tc box with no floppy", some people who have
installed such things recently should chime in, but the abstract answer
from the armchair over here is:

	1. Buy the CD from Bob Nestor's non-profit NetBSD CD operation
	   (Alternatively, locate one of the 1,500 CD's we gave away to
	    each Usenix attendee in June; they are bootable on alpha.)
-or-
	2. Burn the `cdhdtape' image, to a CD.
-or-
	3. Write the `cdhdtape' image to a disk or tape, and possibly play
	   musical drives as neeeded

Note that with (1) you get distribution sets on the image. With (2)
it's just the same install kernel that the dual-floppy boot loads, so
you still have to ftp the sets, obviously...

You might be totally lucky, and have an old-SRM that can actually
netboot, I think I saw it work, once...

Pointers to most of these items are on the NetBSD/alpha home page:

	www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/