Subject: Re: Zoom. Now what? :)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, seebs@plethora.net>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/02/1999 01:36:21
> From: seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
>
> So, I finally got an Alpha running.  So.  I have this fast box.  Before I
> spend months connecting and disconnecting hardware, I'm wondering if there's
> any general pattern to which devices will work on an Alpha, and which won't.
> For instance, my cheapo ethernet cards don't seem to probe, but my 3Com does.

All the devices except X display servers are supposed to work. Definitely
send-pr any that don't.  There may be some issues with isapnp, partly
because of differences in the firmware, partly because of lack of interest.
(See also the SRM isacfg command.)

> I've noticed that some options I'm used to seeing on are off in GENERIC,
> such as kernfs and procfs.  Do these have problems, or are they just not
> useful to Alpha users?  :)

This is because the meaning of the GENERIC kernel has been corrupted
a little on other ports. It's supposed to mean: "everything you might
need to get going", not "everything under the sun". Like many other
things, it's more right over here. :-)

	ross.harvey@computer.org