Subject: 'com' performance on slow alphas?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/31/1999 08:15:14
I have an AS200 (233MHz) that's the PPP/Ethernet gateway for a location
I'm not at very often.  About a week ago I upgraded it from 1.3K or
thereabouts to -current (then 1.4F) and hoped that the split-interrupt
stuff for the serial ports which had been added in between those
vintages would help performance some.

Before, I got occasional silo overflows.

Now, I get them *constantly*.  To the extent that if I use mutt to read
my mail, things pretty much grind to a complete halt as it rapidly tries
to update the percentage of my mailbox that it's sucked in so far (this
involves a lot of printing and backspacing and... you get the idea).

Is there something I'm missing?

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"