Subject: Re: axppci y2k?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/26/1999 09:35:40
> From port-alpha-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Sat Jul 24 21:12 PDT 1999
> To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
> Cc: port-alpha@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: axppci y2k?
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 21:10:35 -0700
>
> On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:07:23 -0400 (EDT)
>  der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:
>
>  > Yes!  And I thought I was the only one.
>
> Tru64 UNIX (formerly Digital UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1)) stores the date/time
> in a different format in the clock NVRAM than does NetBSD.
>
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>

The two Console interfaces available (ARC and SRM) store the year in
the hardware NVRAM clock with offsets that differ by 20 years.  Any
routine that sets the software clock from the hardware clock needs to
use an algorithm that matches the console you are using.

This was beaten to death in the Alpha-Linux community many months ago,
and should be in a FAQ somewhere.  Or look on DejaNews for exasperated
postings by Jay Estabrook.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu