Subject: Re: PC164 memory accesses slow?
To: None <jc@joerch.org, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/20/1999 14:20:24
On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:51:57 +0200 (MET DST)
 Joerg Czeranski <jc@joerch.org> wrote:

 > I ran a mildly memory intensive integer benchmark (Ford/Fulkerson
 > network flow optimization) on a PC164, and it took 50.3s with
 > NetBSD-1.3.3 and 48.4s with DU4.0E, same assembler source, but assembled
 > and linked on each target OS.

I would be interested in running it as well. Did you profile
this program on both systems?  I wonder if a library call could be
a factor.

Are these results consistently reproducible?  I suspect DU4.0 will be
using page coloring...

Also, how big is this binary image?  We don't at the moment deal with
a certain ELF performance problem that happens in very large programs.

	ross.harvey@computer.org