Subject: Re: zip mount and msdosfs problem
To: Tobias Ernst <tobi@bland.fido.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/12/1999 18:40:04
tobi@bland.fido.de (Tobias Ernst) writes:
>Problem #1: I am not able to mount a pristine ZIP disk as bought from the
>vendor (i.E. a MSDOS-style partition table with a FAT parition in the 4th
>slice). As I extracted from the mailing list archives, NetBSD is supposed to
>generate a fake disk label in this case. Well, on my system it looks like this:

It does generate a fake disklabel, which is the one printed by
disklabel (that you pasted).

Note that some ports -- not all -- recognize PC MBR partitions and
generate fake disklabels with appropriate entries based on this.
NetBSD/alpha doesn't do _this_.  It probably should be made to.

>Problem #2: If I write a proper NetBSD-style disklabel to the ZIP (which of
>course is not what I want because the users will disklike it, but anyway), or
>if I use the SCSI floppy, I can mount a msdos style file system, or create one
>with mtools.
>
>However, that file system works only in the root directory; in working with
>subdirectories it has severe problems as illustrated by the command sequence
>below:
>[ ... ]

This i've no clue about.  8-)

cgd