Subject: Re: multia Qs
To: None <briggs@ninthwonder.com, weiss@Uni-Mainz.DE>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/08/1999 12:09:11
> From: Juergen Weiss <weiss@Uni-Mainz.DE>
>
> Allen Briggs writes:
>  >
>  > 2. When I reboot or halt (at least, after a floppy boot), I get dumped
>  >    into a low-level monitor mode.  Is this abnormal?  What can I do to
>  >    avoid that?  What can I do, once I'm there, to reset/reboot the
>  >    machine (other than walking around to the machine and cycling power)?

What's the prompt?  The NetBSD/alpha faq does give some basic info
on SRM usage, if that's where you are...and it is programmable for
action on power up. (``>>>set auto_action boot'', IIRC)

> This problem does not occur with the workstation console. When you
> commented out the following makeoptions line in NetBSD 1.3 with
> serial console,
>
> # set kernel load address a bit higher to allow kernel to be netbooted.
> # if not netbooting, the "makeoptions LOADADDRESS" line can be commented
> # out to save a fair chunk (~850k) of RAM.
> makeoptions     LOADADDRESS="fffffc0000300000"
>
> the result was similar. But I think in NetBSD 1.4, the
> load address is always 0xfffffc0000300000 ?!

I'm a bit confused here, but with respect to the 1.4 address, we always
use the higher load address now, because we are able to use non-contiguous
physical memory segments and as a result it doesn't waste any space.