Subject: Re: IP NAT broken in the past?
To: Lindgren, Jon <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/08/1999 18:15:58
On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 08:34:58AM -0400, Lindgren, Jon wrote:
> So my question is - is NAT known to have problems in any releases?  Should
> it have worked on 1.3.2/1.3.3, and does it work on 1.4?  Des anyone have any
> experience with -current and NAT, or even better the pre-release of 1.4.1?
> I'd just like to make sure that upgrading my box won't be fruitless in terms
> of NAT functionality.

I don't know for 1.3.3 but I think if it's really brocken there would
be a patch in the NetBSD-1.3.3/patches directory.
I used NAT on a 1.4 i386 box (don't forget the in_var.h patch :) without
problems (I'm using only the ftp proxy part now, which is causing me some
troubles, e.g. occasional kernel panics).
I didn't try the NetBSD-release sources on this box, although I will soon,
but I can't see why it would broke :)

on your 1.3.3, are you sure ip forwarding is enabled (options GATEWAY or
sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding set to 1) ? Also, are you sure ipf is
enabled (ipfilter=YES in rc.conf) ?