Subject: Re: ELF confusion
To: None <mikeride@prez.org, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/04/1999 13:20:52
 [ nighthawk can't find libXpm.so.4 ]

1. Nighthawk isn't built correctly by the pkg importer. The pkg system
   has been doing a good job supporting ELF recently, but not in this one
   case.

   File a PR in category pkg.

2. The reason your LD_LIBRARY_PATH bombed is because nighthawk is setgid
   games. If you take off the setgid bit (and maybe fiddle with /var/games/*
   permissions) it will start noticing LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

3. You (and some pkg people) need to read the NetBSD ELF faq:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html

4. The reason some pkgs don't work is because we just do a big top level
   build and upload the results. We don't actually try each one of the
   1,000 packages. If you would like to fund a testing and Q/A group,
   cool! We will do it for you, then. Otherwise, just keep testing those
   pkgs on alpha... :-)

Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org