Subject: Re: netatalk
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Matthew Aldous <mda@mhri.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/28/1999 09:50:47

> Hi,
> I compiled netatalk (from pkgsrc, even though it's not asun's) on my alpha,

I was totally unable to get netatalk working under 1.3 (due to changes
in the kernel - something returning INF, instead of 0) on my alpha - I had
the same problems listed below. I'm hoping netatalk might work with 1.4,
but I've not had a chance to try.

I then tried netatalk under Linux, but found a further problem with
my FDDI cards. (which I presumed may have caused some problems with
NetBSD). From what I could gather, there was no DDP support over
FDDI, nor DHCPD support.

> this problem? I tried the netatalk faq-o-matic, the "real" netatalk faq,
> looking through the netatalk-admins mailing list for the past year. For
> this problem, the solution is always listed as "make sure your lokin user
> (a) has a valid shell, and (b) has read permissions on AppleVoolumes file.
> Both are true. There also was 1 message in the mailing list archive where a
> guy asked if anyone had run it on an alpha. There was no response to that
> message.

It may have been me. I became totally frustrated when I couldn't find
an easier *userland* way to find pkgsrc distributions that *didn't*
require you to be running current.

I may have time to try again - can anyone tell me how to
retrieve pkgsrc packages for 1.4, not "current"? Alternatively,
is any able to confirm that DDP, or DHCPD, *should* work over
FDDI?

thanks in advance,
matthew.