Subject: Re: Multia UDB + IDE ?
To: Tony Hernandez <tony.hernandez@intellon.com>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/16/1999 14:57:18
On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Tony Hernandez wrote:

> Has anyone found a cable to use an internal 2.5 IDE drive inside the
> multia ? I know you cant boot from it

I'm not sure this is still the case.  You might try the latest firmware,
and see if it recognizes your IDE controller.  I know that:

 (a) SRM firmware on the higher-end Alpha boards has added IDE support
 (b) The Linux Cult is precariously booting their little kernels
     with ARC firmware on the Multia, which _does_ support IDE.

Attached is one of their messages.  You might ask on axp-list@redhat.com
if you need more info, or just try updating your firmware and see if it
works.

If that fails, there is an IDE-to-SCSI converter card you can get that
piggybacks onto your 2.5" IDE drive and provides a laptop SCSI interface.
A recent effort to purchase a batch of them from the Japanese company that
makes seems to have failed (or evaporated), but the large-capacity SCSI
drives in PowerBook Duo's and 500's often have them, as do some of the
recent SparcBook drives--Tadpole clearly confesses to using them on a
certain model of pre-Ultrabook drive module.

You can sometimes get them in auctions, u.s.w., or scavenge them from a
Duo that a nearby large corporation was scrapping like i did. My friend
who works at a Mac dealer also saw one come across his bench, and didn't
know what it was.  It was attached to a ``replacement'' disk forwarded
from another store and destined toward an IDE Powerbook.  so you might be
able to get one from a Mac dealer if you can explain it to them.

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US