Subject: Re: Incorrect information on www.netbsd.org
To: Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/16/1999 09:46:43
[core@ and webmaster@ are stripped; that is not an appropriate way to flame,
as if flaming is appropriate at all!]

On 16 Jun 1999, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

: Therefore, please stop claiming support for Alpha PC164LX

NetBSD 1.4 works fine on the PC164LX with SRM BIOS.  Many NetBSD developers
use them on a regular basis.

: systems, as well as support for Macs such as the 9600.

I can't speak for particular machines, but the macppc port is *brand new* as
of the 1.4 release.  Though its source code has been around through the
1.3->1.4 development cycle, this is its first public release.  It's far from
reasonable for you to demand this kind of immediate stability when some
machines do, in fact, work on the macppc support.  To the general public,
the macppc port is only a couple months old.

: (My macppc install instructions are used by many people, and then I get
: report about the install failures.)

Now, *install* problems are a completely separate issue, and have nothing to
do with the machines on which NetBSD itself operates.  If you would like to
donate time to make the install system more bulletproof, please do ... we're
doing the best we can with the manpower available.

: NetBSD 1.4 is the first NetBSD release I have come across that has caused me
: any problems whatsoever.  All previous releases have worked great.  But
: NetBSD 1.4 fails to operate at all on the systems I have tried so far.

If you'd like to cite actual problems rather than flame, please open PRs on
exact problems.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)