Subject: Re: booting disk??
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/13/1999 21:49:00
>"Michael G. Schabert" <mikeride@prez.org> writes:
>> bootstrap starting sector: 1
>> bootstrap sector count: 14
>> new boot block checksum: 0xf59d07492c3a86f8
>
>Hmm.  looks reasonable, assuming the checksum is correct (no sane way
>to verify that w/o doing the additions by hand, but it's not like the
>code is complex).
>

>> Looks somewhat "normal" to these untrained eyes ;-)
>
>Yah, to these trained eyes, too.
>
>Does the re-installbooted disk boot?  (if you don't know, you can say
>e.g. 'b dka100' to boot off SCSI ID 1...  easier than frobbing jumpers
>8-)

Yeah, that's what I did...shutdown -h now

>>> b dka400 (running HD was SCSI ID 2, so I hadta make new one higher to
>>>use 'em both)

>The reason that this puzzles me is a return from 'boot' as early as
>the one you got indicates that the alpha console went and read the
>first block of the disk, which contains:
>
>	* NetBSD disklabel, if any, and
>
>	* SRM Boot Block, which in turn contains a few fields and that
>	  checksum.
>
>and, looking at the SRM Boot Block, i.e. the starting sector, sector
>count, boot block flags (always zero for us, iirc), and checksum,
>decided that it wasn't a valid boot block...
>
>Typically that's because the checksum's wrong...

Hmm, weird...anyone else try doing an installboot with the 1.4 release? I
freshly downloaded all sets for the new HD, leaving the running system
alone. Then & had tried using the /usr/mdec from the running system, as
well as the fresh ones from /mnt/usr/mdec, so I would think that that'd
solve any problems with checksums being wrong on either just my system or
just the release tarballs.

About the only thing that I remember doing wrong was that I had forgotten
the newfs step before my first fsck try...so of course it reported bad
superblock, wrong magic number. Then I remembered to make the fs, & then
did an fsck -fp on it, which came out OK. I can't see how that'd affect it,
but I figure I'll throw that out there.

Chris, I appreciate the attention you've given my dilemma. I'm gonna sleep
on it & see if anything turns up tomorrow when the collective gets back to
the office...assuming not, I'll try reformatting tomorrow & seeing if that
fixes it.

Thanks for all your help,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.