Subject: Re: booting disk??
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/13/1999 18:09:35
"Michael G. Schabert" <mikeride@prez.org> writes:
> bootstrap starting sector: 1
> bootstrap sector count: 14
> new boot block checksum: 0xf59d07492c3a86f8

Hmm.  looks reasonable, assuming the checksum is correct (no sane way
to verify that w/o doing the additions by hand, but it's not like the
code is complex).

> Looks somewhat "normal" to these untrained eyes ;-)

Yah, to these trained eyes, too.

Does the re-installbooted disk boot?  (if you don't know, you can say
e.g. 'b dka100' to boot off SCSI ID 1...  easier than frobbing jumpers
8-)

The reason that this puzzles me is a return from 'boot' as early as
the one you got indicates that the alpha console went and read the
first block of the disk, which contains:

	* NetBSD disklabel, if any, and

	* SRM Boot Block, which in turn contains a few fields and that
	  checksum.

and, looking at the SRM Boot Block, i.e. the starting sector, sector
count, boot block flags (always zero for us, iirc), and checksum,
decided that it wasn't a valid boot block...

Typically that's because the checksum's wrong...

cgd