Subject: Re: phantom X11 lib
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/10/1999 00:32:54
> From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
>:::
> I'm pretty sure I've built other things that use shared libraries and
> don't run into this.  I suppose xosview is one of the few programs
> that bothers to micromanage its libraries?

Possible reasons include: (1) ELF-aware package.  Even in 1.3.x, some
packages worked fine with private libraries, e.g., anything that used imake
or somehow arranged for the X machinery to do the link.  Or (2) because
/usr/lib is a built-in default. For questionable reasons, /usr/local/lib
was also, but I believe this changed recently.

> That did it.  Thanks for the tip.  (I think you meant
> -rpath=/usr/X11R6/lib, BTW.)

It works either way. (At least in -current.) And I just tried it from the
-current pkgsrc and note that a third working option is what's actually
used:

	-Wl,-R/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib.

>:::
> That was the other thing that was bothering me.  A NetBSD-1.4/mac68k
> system built and ran it just fine (well, after I added -DUVM to the
> CXXFLAGS.)

Hmm. You "win" twice here. 1.4 pkgsrc, and an a.out (not yet ELF) port.
Note that pkgsrc doesn't do every package with ELF-aware commands.  Just
a lot more than it used to, and with a lot of libtool-ing.

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org