Subject: Re: X on AlphaStation 500?
To: Sven Dietrich <spock@sled.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/04/1999 15:21:10
Sven Dietrich wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>  I have successfully installed NetBSD 1.4 on an AS500, but now
>I am trying to get X to work. Obviously from the docs, the TGA2
>card is not supported. However it seems that the TGA2 has a Cirrus
>Logic 5424 chipset, which is supported by XFree86. Building
>XFree86 for NetBSD/alpha has been a nightmarish experience so far.
>
>  What video cards are supported? The TGA is. Besides that?
>
>Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
>Sven

Only the TGA in 8bit mode is supported at the moment.  I am currently
working on the TGA2, which needs to be twiddled a little bit before
it will work.  I expect to make some time to work on it towards
the middle of the month, and I hope to have it working by the end
of the month.  From my initial perusal of the TGA2 docs, I should
be able to accelerate it to be quite a bit faster than the TGA.

The TGA in 32bit mode should be supported later, as it is pretty
similar.

I am not sure about the timeline on generic XFree86 support, although
there are a number of issues there to be solved.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==