Subject: Re: Installation experiences
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/01/1999 17:35:51
Dave Huang <khym@bga.com> writes:

> On 30 May 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> > > vrele: bad ref count: type VSOCK, usecount -3, writecount -1, refcount
> > > 5368826400,
> >
> > This was a bug, is now fixed.
>
> Cool, thanks :) I don't like the error message it gives if there's no
> /emul/osf1/sbin/loader though :)
>
> yerfable ~/setiathome-1.1.alpha-dec-osf3.0> ls -l ./setiathome
> -rwxr-x---  1 khym  wheel  163840 May 17 02:23 ./setiathome*
> yerfable ~/setiathome-1.1.alpha-dec-osf3.0> ./setiathome
> ./setiathome: Command not found.

yah.  it was getting ENOENT on the loader lookup, and happily
returning that.

I'll modify the code so that it returns ENOEXEC instead.  I don't
think it's right to blindly return ENOEXEC, because e.g. if there's an
I/O error or permissions error on the loader binary (e.g. MNT_NOEXEC)
you (or at least I) want that distinguished from the normal ENOEXEC
message.

cgd