Subject: Re: Installation experiences
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/30/1999 16:34:32
[ don't think i ever replied to this to the list. ]

Dave Huang <khym@bga.com> writes:
> Anyways, it's installed, and I've even got a NetBSD-current kernel
> compiled and running on it... did get a crash though :( If I try to run
> the DEC OSF 3.0 SETI@home client, I get:
>
> vrele: bad ref count: type VSOCK, usecount -3, writecount -1, refcount
> 5368826400,

This was a bug, is now fixed.

> BTW, it's definitely not supposed to crash, but is it supposed to work?

Well, as you've guessed, you'll need libraries and some other stuff
from an OSF/1 system.

Also, specifically for the seti@home binary, it needs some fcntl() ops
emulated which aren't yet emulated (i've written and tested the code
with the seti@home binary, but not yet committed it), and, depending
on the FP operations it uses and expectations it has, it may want
floating point software completion to be implemented (which
NetBSD/alpha does not yet do).

cgd