Subject: Re: RAM for DEC 3000/300LX
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/26/1999 13:11:28
On Wed, 26 May 1999, Paul Mather wrote:
>I recently bought a DEC 3000/300LX from a local surplus auction.  It is
>completely stripped.  I just tested it using some RAM borrowed from
>another 3000/300, and, apart from problems with the onboard framebuffer,
>it works.  Now, I'd like to put NetBSD/alpha on it, to complement the
>NetBSD/pmax on my DECstation 3100.

  The 3000/300LX is a nice little workhorse machine.  I've got about six of
them here doing various things; they take load VERY well when they have enough
memory.

>Can someone tell me what kind of SIMMs can be fitted to a DEC
>3000/300LX?  I know it accepts either 8 or 32 MB 72-pin SIMMs, in pairs,
>but will "industry standard" SIMMs work with it, or do you need to use
>DEC proprietary modules (MS16-BA?).  Can someone give me an exact
>specification (speed, parity, size, EDO/ECC/whatever) that I can use to
>go hunt down the best price from a bulk RAM vendor?  (I can't afford DEC
>memory; the DEC 3000/300LX itself only cost me $12.50, so I don't want
>the RAM to break the bank!!)

  $12.50?!  Lucky you.  I'm using plain vanilla 72pin parity SIMMs in mine...no
EDO/FPM/pc-ram-acronym-of-the-week crap.  You definitely don't need proprietary
RAM in those machines.

  Good luck with your new machine!

                    -Dave McGuire