Subject: Re: Problems with SysInst
To: Andrew van der Stock <ajv@greebo.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/23/1999 15:40:59
"Andrew van der Stock" wrote:

> When I was using the upgrade feature of systinst to move from 1.3.2 to 1.4
> last week, I noticed that if /usr/include/machine was non-empty, it caused
> 5+ minute delays between pax sets with a clear screen. It also completed the
> unpacking before announcing that it couldn't go any further.
>
> If I wasn't such a persistant bastard, I'd have installed Linux by now. I
> think that this needs to be fixed. Which tarball has sysinst in it?

The problem here is that somewhere between 1.3.x and 1.4
/usr/include/machine and /usr/include/${MACHINE} switched - one used
to be a directory and the other a symlink, and vice-versa.  Off the
top of my head I don't know if this is fixed, but sysinst lives in
distrib/utils/sysinst, which should be in src.tgz.

> I'm using a Digital VT510 80x24 serial console, and sysinst seems to think
> that 80x25 is the norm.

I'm not familiar with the alpha (yet!), but sysinst will just use
whatever termcap says it should.  Do you get a chance to specify the
terminal type before sysinst starts?

Simon.