Subject: Re: Alpha FAQ (was Re: post-installation oddity on AlphaPC164SX)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/20/1999 13:44:14
>> This is not the comment it is obviously intended to be.  Whoever
>> wrote this needs to read up on how HTML comments work.
> I don't think I wrote those comments, but I did just read the HTML
> 2.0 RFC and the W3 4.0 recommendation.  It doesn't actually say that
> it would introduce a comment extending PAST the tag!  It's clearly a
> grey area.

Hmm, a while ago someone I know found a document that was quite clear
about how comments work.  I'm chasing after a pointer to that document,
and if I find it I'll toss it out here.

Is there a web-staff list or anything like that that would be a better
place to discuss this?  I doubt most of the port-alpha crowd really
cares about the details of HTML commenting....

> And we tested those pages in Netscape and Exploder.  I tested some of
> the alpha pages in Grail, Plume, and S-Scape, too.  I don't remember
> if I looked at the FAQ, though.

I was using Lynx.  I do fuzzily recall that when building it I had an
option whether I wanted it to do comments the right way or the
wrong-but-common way, and of course I picked the former.  This sort of
thing is probably what that was all about.  (Perhaps there should be an
option to do it whichever way but flag anything for which the two ways
differ...hmm.)

					der Mouse