Subject: Re: Newbie - please help - Console update
To: Paul Goyette <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/18/1999 11:42:28
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Paul Goyette wrote:

: Then, I select the AlphaBIOS Upgrade... option from the menu and press
: Enter.  It goes off and frobs the floppy for a bit, then it appears to
: reload/reboot, displays some text about my video card and then "BIOS
: Emulation V1.15a".

Sigh.  AlphaBIOS *is* ARC; you need SRM in order to boot NetBSD.

: Then, it goes to a totally blank, blue screen with an underline cursor
: in the upper left corner and just sits there.  No more floppy frobbing,
: nothing.  I've waited at least ten minutes in this state, and nothing
: seems to have any effect.

Ew.  Uh, um... can you try Ctrl-C and Ctrl-Break and see if you get
anything?  Sounds like the wrong firmware image for the board.

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.