Subject: COMPAT_OSF1 enhancements
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/05/1999 19:17:36
In post-NetBSD 1.4-branch NetBSD-current, NetBSD/alpha has much
improved OSF/1 (a.k.a. Digital UNIX, a.k.a. Tru64 UNIX) emulation,
including support for dynamically linked binaries.

Of note, the following applications are known to work to the extent
that they have been tested:

	Application		Digital UNIX
	and Version		Env. Version
	-----------		------------
	Navigator 4.08		4.0
	Navigator 4.51		4.0
	Navigator 4.51		4.0E
	General Mesh Viewer (http://www-xdiv.lanl.gov/XCM/gmv/GMVHome.html
	    decMesa variant)	4.0

(Java and Javascript even appear to work, in Navigator!)

I expect that earlier versions of those applications, for earlier
versions of the Digital UNIX (or DEC OSF/1) environment, will function
with little or no effort but (not having them 8-) I couldn't verify
that.

Once NetBSD-current reverts back to the 'trunk' of the development
sources (after 1.4 is released), this will be available to you all as
part of NetBSD-current.

If you're not interested in running NetBSD-current, and instead want
to run the upcoming NetBSD 1.4 release, I have prepared a set of
patches to the 1.4 sources which integrate the functionality into
NetBSD 1.4.  If you're interested in getting the patches and are
willing to provide me feedback about what you're testing with them and
how well it works, please send me e-mail.

cgd