Subject: Re: booting with NCR3c875
To: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/29/1999 23:33:30
On Apr 28, Andreas Johansson wrote
> I don't belive the NCR driver is buggy for the 53c875. I've been using an
> ASUS 875 based card in my AlphaPC 164SX for about a year with NetBSD. I've
> never had one problem except that it currently runs in wide and not

It is: it can't recover from a SCSI protocol error (resets the bus and then
hang), with a 810 or a 875.
However all my servers have NCR boards, including one with 2 9Gb scsi drives
(on a 875) and a DLT7000 based tape changer (on a 810) doing nigthly dumps.
These are really stable.  You just need to take care of cables and
terminations to avoid SCSI protocols errors.