Subject: Re: More newbie questions about the PC164
To: None <>
From: Andrew Isaacson <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/17/1999 16:36:46
On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 04:34:01PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 04:11:25PM -0400, Mark Levine wrote:
> [...]
> > forward to trying it out again on this platform, NetBSD was a good
> > performer when the disk did not lock up and refuse to restart.
> FWIW, FreeBSD and Linux use basically the same NCR 53c8xx driver that we
> do.  The Linux one has been hacked on a bit more, but AFAICT all the
> same basic flaws that are in ours are still there.  And I doubt that there
> are enough people running FreeBSD on the Alpha to have learned just how
> much that driver loses yet... because of the nature of the problems withthat
> driver, making the tiniest little tweak to *anything* can make you think
> you've "fixed" or "caused" bugs.  I doubt running Linux vs. running NetBSD
> makes much difference WRT NCR driver stability _in general_, though it
> may well have in your case -- we had a situation a few weeks ago where
> one of the developers had a NCR driver problem that appeared or didn't
> appear depending on the setting of unrelated variables in his SRM!

Linux 2.2.6 has a new driver called sym53c8xx based on the ncr53c8xx
driver.  I don't know exactly what the differences are, except that
the scripts in the new driver use newer features and thus works better
or something.

The patch is at
and the kernel is linux-2.2.6.tar.gz

Andy Isaacson    Fight Spam, join CAUCE: