Subject: Re: More newbie questions about the PC164
To: Mark Levine <yba@wm1i.polytronics.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/17/1999 16:34:01
On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 04:11:25PM -0400, Mark Levine wrote:
[...]
> forward to trying it out again on this platform, NetBSD was a good
> performer when the disk did not lock up and refuse to restart.

FWIW, FreeBSD and Linux use basically the same NCR 53c8xx driver that we
do.  The Linux one has been hacked on a bit more, but AFAICT all the
same basic flaws that are in ours are still there.  And I doubt that there
are enough people running FreeBSD on the Alpha to have learned just how
much that driver loses yet... because of the nature of the problems withthat
driver, making the tiniest little tweak to *anything* can make you think
you've "fixed" or "caused" bugs.  I doubt running Linux vs. running NetBSD
makes much difference WRT NCR driver stability _in general_, though it
may well have in your case -- we had a situation a few weeks ago where
one of the developers had a NCR driver problem that appeared or didn't
appear depending on the setting of unrelated variables in his SRM!

Thor