Subject: Re: More newbie questions about the PC164
To: Matthew Orgass <>
From: Dave Huang <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/17/1999 04:04:31
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Matthew Orgass wrote:
>   Hmm... Somewhere between pages 30 and 50 (I think--in the flash rom
> section) it describes a flash rom header and says that a jumper is used to
> determine which is loaded at boot time.  So if you have a "turbo" switch
> or such on the case it shouldn't be too painful to dual boot...  Unless
> they don't both fit...

You mean the Boot Option Jumper (CF7)? It sounds like that switches
between whatever firmware you have loaded and the "fail-safe booter,"
which is for reflashing the firmware... I don't think it's for switching
between ARC and SRM.

However, I downloaded the "AlphaPC 164 Motherboard DIGITAL UNIX User 's
and it says that the SRM console has an "arc" command: "Loads and runs
the Windows NT ARC firmware from a diskette." So, perhaps that would
work... maybe a bit inconvenient to boot off a floppy, but better than
having to reflash the firmware :)
INet:   |   they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++