Subject: RE: 2nd Announcement: cheap fast Alpha PC164 boards available
To: 'Laine Stump' <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/1999 14:07:34

Don't I wish.. Actually, I just checked with my lab's sysadmins, and they
tell me that Compaq no longer sells those ECC FPM SIMMs internally. We've
all moved to SDRAM. That's why I'm stuck buying them on the open market like
anyone else. :)

Compaq Employee Discount programs are okay, but don't allow purchases of
Alpha systems. They make us buy Presarios. I won't comment any further on
that - let's just say that I don't own any Presarios. :)

More than a few of us here at CRL (Cambridge Research Lab) are interested in
NetBSD - we might try to contribute some stuff to the Project in the near
future. We're traditionally a Digital UNIX/Windows NT shop, so I'm trying to
introduce a few NetBSD systems here and there.. and hide the Linux CDs so no
one finds them. :-)

I would like to try working on XFree86 Servers for NetBSD/Alpha in my off
time. This is why I want this motherboard for my own use; once I graduate in
June I'd like to get more involved.

-Edwin

ps: I don't speak for Compaq, obviously, just to make that clear.

-----
Edwin Foo - Compaq Cambridge Research Laboratory
<efoo@crl.dec.com> [O] (617) 551-7612 [F] (617) 551-7650