Subject: Re: 2nd Announcement: cheap fast Alpha PC164 boards available
To: Calvin Vette <>
From: Feico Dillema <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/1999 19:49:10
Your message dated: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:48:28 EDT
>It's not just 36-bit, it's FPM memory. I don't know what the difference is, but
>I know it's not compatible. (I believe the SparcLX also uses FPM memory, and
>I've tried 32-bit SIMMS in it with no luck.)

FPM == Fast Page Memory. It was the `standard' memory for workstations
and PCs before EDO and SDRAM became popular. The 4 extra bits are for
parity checking and have been dropped by most PC-manufacturers some
years ago to save a few bucks. I think a lot of '486 machines needed
36 bit memory at the time. Some manufactorers worked around it by
producing `fake' parity memory; 32 bit with some circuitry to similate
the parity. AFAIK that won't work on the Alpha's.