Subject: mixing SIMMs on AlphaPC164?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Czeranski <jc@joerch.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/15/1999 14:31:05
tls wrote in his announcement of the AlphaPC164 boards:
> 	* You'll need 4 or 8 pieces of 36-bit 72-pin SIMM memory.
> 	  All SIMMs must be the same.

My AlphaPC164 came with 64MB as 4x 4Mx36 and I intend to upgrade it
to 128MB.  Is it ok to add 4x 4Mx36 from a different vendor or is that
likely to fail and do I need eight absolutely identical SIMMs?

The AlphaPC164 Unix User's Manual (EC-QZT5B-TE, section 5.2) implies
that even different access times should work for the two halves of
the bank, as long as the modules are all the same size.

Anybody with real life experience?

joerch