Subject: Re: More newbie questions about the PC164
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/15/1999 13:16:08
Your message dated: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:42:58 CDT

>Also according to the FAQ, only the TGA framebuffer is supported by the
>X server... approx. how much are these? I don't really care about X, but
>if they're cheap, I might get one. If they're hundreds of dollars, I'll
>just get a $15 cheapo VGA card and forget about X for now :)

Not trying to push people that are already  doing so much for port-alpha,
but... can anybody tell me whether concrete work is being done on the
X-server for alpha's? Will there be an operational one again with
NetBSD-1.4, and is work being done or planned on supporting more video
cards for X? Is it lack of support in NetBSD-alpha or XFree or both
that is the limitation here? What is the nature of the work needed here;
severe kernel hacking or hacking in intricate X-stuff. In other words:
can ordinary -we-are-not-worthy- programmers (like me ;) do something
useful here to assist?

Feico.