Subject: More newbie questions about the PC164
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/15/1999 04:42:58
Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial query... got a couple
more questions that I couldn't find the answer to:

While I really doubt I'd actually want to do this, would it be possible
to dual-boot these into NetBSD and Windoze NT? According to the
NetBSD/alpha FAQ, NetBSD wants the SRM firmware and NT wants the ARC
firmware, so I'm guessing the answer is no...

Also according to the FAQ, only the TGA framebuffer is supported by the
X server... approx. how much are these? I don't really care about X, but
if they're cheap, I might get one. If they're hundreds of dollars, I'll
just get a $15 cheapo VGA card and forget about X for now :)

And finally, if anyone has info on how to hack a standard ATX power
supply to work with the PC164, please let me know. Opinions on the
safety of doing so are welcome too :) While I consider myself adept at
hardware hacking (mmm, love the smell of that rosin core solder ;), if a
botched mod is likely to fry my new motherboard, I'll just buy the right
power supply :)

Thanks! And please cc: replies to me directly... I'm not on port-alpha
yet (but I will be after I get my system built :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++